Sunday, November 13, 2011

chapter 12

1. What makes a great President (not which Presidents have been great) . . . what qualities are essential to greatness?  Why?

There are many qualities that make a president great. First, he must be loyal to his country and his citizens. He must be educated and experienced in government/political/military jobs. I think he should be an attentive person who is understanding and willing to listen to others but also makes sure to make his own opinions heard. I think he should be comfortable with the media, public speaking, and with people in general. He should also be a confidant person who is willing to try new things.

2. Other than Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, which two Presidents have been the greatest and why?

I think Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a great president. He guided the country successfully through both the Great Depression and WWII. I liked some of the things he did such as the New Deal. Instead of just giving handouts, he also created job programs.

Another great president was Lyndon Johnson. He got the Congress to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968. He protected minority rights. He also helped the poor and the elderly by creating Medicare and Medicaid. He looked out for the,"little people" which is something I can respect.

3. Research a President that you're previously unfamiliar with - list at least three things you learned.  Was this President effective?  Why or why not?

I researched Millard Fillmore who was the 13th president. He was also the last member of the whig party to hold the presidential office. He assumed presidency after Zachery Talyor's death. One thing that is so interesting about him is that when he became president, the entire cabinet resigned. He supported the Compromise of 1850 and the Fugitive Slave Act. I do not think he was an effective president because he was not very popular.

7 comments:

  1. that was an interesting blog. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your views on all things. I can honestly say that Millard Fillmore is an unheard of name for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I can see you put alot of thought into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can agree I had not heard of Fillmore, and wonder how effective he could have been had people given him the chance. I agree with your thoughts on Lyndon Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You listed some great qualities that all presidents should possess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost embarrassing how many Presidents I've never heard of. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew nOthing of Fillmore before this. Nice post

    ReplyDelete